Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Some stuff you missed

From: harvard!topaz!jerpc.PE.UUCP
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 85 20:23:36 edt
Subject: Re: Some stuff you missed

> Which tape?

All it said on the tape was "Space".  Doug has about convinced
me that it wasn't the same group you-all have been talking
about.

> Kate as hard rock?  That is definitely a new one one me.  For the record, Jer,
> what does "SO" mean?  I assume spouse but what does the O stand for?

Well, what's the definition of "hard rock"?

I'm certainly not espoused... "SO" is a term from net.singles,
meaning "Significant Other," a term whose validity has been
debated extensively there, with the conclusion that it's
basically OK and everyone understands it, and it is less
"offensive" than other words... oh well... It doesn't matter
much to me.

> I think this is a great idea, though, maybe you could get a full-length
> article out of it for Val's zine.  >Is it still happening? Val<

>But now I've started learning how!<

> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Wally:  Well, golly, ... what are you crying for?
> Beaver:  Sometimes things get so messed up there's nothing else you can do.

Are these quotes genuine, or just imitations? (Just curious).

> Why the heavy drumbeats on several of the songs on "The Dreaming"?
> Heavy drumbeats can be great, and so can the lack of them....

Personally I think the monotony of the drumbeats is sort of
annoying after awhile...

> 	I like the hypnotic quality of nursery rhyme repetition.  A lot
> 	of traditional music has that as a basis -- that something
> 	tumbling, rolling, droning throughout the piece.  It's very
> 	primeval really.  Getting back to when we were creatures of the
> 	earth rather than cement.

I think this is a common property of popular music, and is one
of the things that distinguishes it from some of the various kinds
of "progressive rock": the popular music has repeated phrases in
it that cause it to be instantly appealing (because people tend
to enjoy hearing familiar music, if it still has things left to
be discovered, or has surprising variations).  The more
difficult music doesn't have this repetition, and you have to
listen to the whole song sometimes several times to begin to get
this effect; but then, because it is *not* repeated in this way,
enjoyment of it lasts longer.

> I think the vocals for that scene are just right.  There's just the
> right amount of something-or-other in her voice when she sings "His
> little heart, it beats so fast".

Yes, the *vocals* are fine, but the instrumental accompaniment
continues driving on.  Compare it to the "rich windy weather"
passage of "There Goes a Tenner".

> Anybody have any idea of what "And I'll be two steps on the water"
> means?  Is this another biblical allusion?

Crossing and walking on water are Biblical miracles that occur
in several places in different ways (OT and NT).  However, I am
not sure that's it... foxes hide their tracks in water when
being pursued by hounds, by crossing and recrossing streams; I
guess "two steps on the water" might suggest running so fast
that you don't have time to sink into it at first, but I suspect
there is more to it than that, even.

> > Isn't that the whole point of the song?  I mean, it goes along
> > well with the meaning of the lyrics...
>
> No, because the music is great!  What do you think the meaning of the
> song is?  I used to think it was about how you should have a positive
> attitutude, but now I think it's Kate saying to her critics, "You never
> even tried to understand what I'm doing.  You can't possibly understand
> because what you care about in life is trivial and unimportant.  What I
> am concerned with is what's really important and totally transcends the
> capabilities of your pathetic, little, narrow minds, and you are just
> missing the boat."  Of course, I don't think she'd ever put it in
> *those* words!

Yes, I think that's it, but I think "Big Sky" also represents a
sort of compromise musically.  I think the ending might be
significant, too... while she's making this song according to
the popular requirements, her mind wanders off to other things,
because it is so boring doing it...