Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Some more replies to jer

From: harvard!topaz!jerpc.PE.UUCP
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 85 20:23:24 edt
Subject: Re: Some more replies to jer

> It's on the back cover.

Oh... that helps a lot... I still think that's a KT in 'er 'ear,
though.

> I dunno.  KB's real name is *very* definitely Catherine Bush, though.
> ("Heathcliff, it's me... Cathy")

But how do you know for sure?  I think it's "Samantha".

> >> [Me:] [I don't trust poets that use the word "fruition".]

Oh... "New encounters spark a true fruition."

> It's some lyrics to an Aborigine song entitled "Airplane, Airplane".

Oh... I thought maybe he said "Fooled 'em again," but that
didn't sound quite right.

> > But, David Byrne is the "Diane" (of Sam&Diane fame) of rock music!
>
> Please explain further.

Well, I have often heard of David Byrne being described as
writing "intelligent lyrics," etc., just as "Diane" is often
described as "intelligent," but so far I haven't been able to
find anything very unusual about his lyrics at all.  Maybe I'm
looking at the wrong ones?  (I just saw a video of him tonight).

> Blecho!  KB is *much* *much* more interesting looking.

Who are you blech-o'ing, "Melanie" or "Martha"?  If the latter,
gee, how can you say that?

> (Personally, I
> think she's one of the most beautiful women there are -- it's not a
> beauty of physical perfection, but of radiating personality.

Uh-oh... see below:

> But, I
> respect her *way* to much to lust after her.  (Oh no, does this mean
> that I can't respect my SO? ....))

Sounds that way to me... I wonder what Kate Bush would think...

> Besides, all the yotches like the pictures that are contrived by some
> banal photographer to make her look like the beautiful girl next door
> (which aren't on any of her record covers except the American "Kick
> Inside"), rather than the ones that bring out her interesting
> personality.  Now, the cover of "Never for Ever" (both front and back
> and gatefold inside) -- now *there's* a record cover!

You mean the one where she sticks out her tongue and acts like a
bat?  Well, now, I would say "Blech-O" to that one for sure!
Not to mention the drawing on the other side.

> > Musicians nowadays... I guess they are all influenced by punk rock or
> > something.
>
> What cup of wisdom would lead you to believe that....

Well, when I drive to work each morning, I see all these
children walking to school, and they are wearing strange
clothes: fluorescent orange shoes, shirts with unnatural colors
of paint spotted on them, and unnatural shapes. "Why do people
dress this way," I ask myself... and I figure it must be "punk
rock".  Well, musicians dress that way nowadays too.  What ever
happened to "earth tones", natural shapes, and so on? That is
how people dressed when *I* was young.

> Well there aren't many musicians like Kate Bush!  Hey, KB has 10
> O-levels....  And a four octave voice....

What's an O-level?

> > Also, she can read both Latin and Greek,
>
> How useful!

It is if you have endless questions about etymology, like I do.

> Regarding driving in Manhattan:

Don't forget "Pork and Salted Cabbage at Four Five Six at the
end of The Bowery".  The cabbage is like a Kate Bush song...
"one moment you think you are listening to the classics, and the
next it is the hard rock, the very hard rock".