Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: umcp-cs!aplcen!uucp@seismo.CSS.GOV
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 85 07:33:54 EDT

>From ins_aset@jhunix Thu Oct 17 12:29:09 1985 remote from jhunix
Date:     Thu, 17 Oct 85 12:28:56 EDT
From:     Susanne E Trowbridge <ins_aset@jhunix>
Subject:  Brilliant - hardly brilliant

Yes, I have heard Brilliant...specifically, their new single, "It's A
Man's Man's Man's World."  It's incredibly boring, really...the old
James Brown song, by the way.  Slow-paced, anonymous female vocals.
The other side is *much* better, however; an instrumental entitled
"Crash the Car," which is kind of Cabaret Voltaire-ish, I suppose.
I think this single is Brilliant's third or fourth record.  Of the
others, I remember liking one, and hating another, though I don't
quite recall what they sounded like.  Phooey, after Youth's comments
on Kate's SO, I'm sure that I'll find it hard to be open-minded about
them now...!

BTW, has another issue of "Breakthrough" been published?  I subscribed
for the first three or four issues, and thought the pictures were nice
and enjoyed the article reprints, but its level of KB-worship seemed a
bit on the fanatic side, or at least I thought so at the time.  I'd
appreciate any thoughts on "Breakthrough" from y'all (this magazine may
already have been discussed here, along, I'm sure, with the reprehensible
Fred Vermorel bio, but remember, I've only been here for a few weeks...)

					Sue