Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: umcp-cs!aplcen!uucp@seismo.CSS.GOV
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 85 02:16:29 EDT

>From ins_aset@jhunix Thu Oct 17 00:02:37 1985 remote from jhunix
Date:     Thu, 17 Oct 85 0:02:23 EDT
From:     Susanne E Trowbridge <ins_aset@jhunix>
Subject:  KB on College Radio

Any other college radio music directors out there??
I'm MD at WJHU here, and I've found many good opportunities to draw
attention to KB and "Hounds of Love"...

WJHU, like many college radio stations, report their top 30 or 35 records
to trade publications, like College Media Journal (CMJ) and Rockpool.
These publications compile all the charts from various stations into one
big chart.  Trades such as CMJ, Rockpool, and Gavin are *widely* read by
people in the industry, and record company reps are always calling me to
ask how their records are doing, if they are in the Top 35.  Besides Top
35, CMJ also asks for top tracks, most requested artists, adventure picks
(music directors' favorite new records), and top imports.

Well, I called CMJ with my report for WJHU today, and it looked like this:

* #1 Album - "Hounds of Love"
* #1 Track - "The Big Sky"; #2, "Running Up That Hill"; #5, "Cloudbusting"
* #1 Most Requested - Kate Bush
* #1 Adventure Pick - "Hounds of Love"

Music directors, report Kate in every category!!!  Listeners, call up and
request Kate's music!!!  DJs, play "Hounds of Love" continuously!!!  (I
have been playing at least 2 cuts a show, and I played all of "The Ninth
Wave" last week.)  College radio is very important...it's helped break
R.E.M., The Cure, Shriekback, New Order, etc.  I am hoping that Kate will
soon have the #1 college album (R.E.M. and The Cure have had the lock on
this position for weeks).

Also, you wonder why record prices are so high?  Warner Bros. sends our
tiny little station *3* copies of every single record they release (that
includes Sire, Geffen, and all their affiliated labels)!  UPS first class,
nonetheless, all the way from California!  Oh well, my record collection's
grown...   :-)