Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KB on TV, Hawkwind/space, ICU

From: COBLEY A (on DUNDEE DEC-10) <A.Cobley%dundee.ac.uk@ucl-cs.arpa>
Date: Tuesday, 15-Oct-85 11:04:03-BST
Subject: KB on TV, Hawkwind/space, ICU

--------

message starts:
	hello all
		just to say that Kate was on the tv over here the other
night (a programme called Whistle test ), she said that the next single
would probaley be cloudbusting.  They showed a video of it with Kate
and Donald Sutherland in it.  She said that it was about a man who
invents a rain machine, apparently its based on a book called

	"A Childs Book Of Dreams " by Peter Ryke (sp?)

Kate plays a small boy? and Donald the childs father and the inventor
of the machine, I thought it was really exelent and rather charming.

The next thing is to say that I can probably get hold of any of the
INNER CITY UNIT  albums that a still available and mail them off (not
too many requests please), I could also send a tape of SPHINX to any
one if they are interseted, by the way doug did your copy of the SPHINX
album come with a booklet? I could photocopy one if it didn't ( same
for the X in search of space album booklet )

re

>Date: Wed, 9 Oct 85 03:10:29 edt
>From: harvard!topaz!jerpc.PE.UUCP
>Subject: Re:  Hawkwind, Motorhead, GNU, Kate a witch?, Inner City Unit, etc.

>Hey, now, wait, I have heard of them, but I am puzzled.
>Actually I just heard of them today.  One of the MTSs at the
>company I work for had this tape which was broken which he
>brought to me to fix; while fixing it, I noticed that it was a
>very old (he said 10 yrs old) tape which said "Hawkwind/Space"
>on it.  "Aha!" I thought, "This is the group Doug is always
>talking about!"

No No I dont think this was HAWKWIND, as doug has already said they have
never had a female vocalist.  I've been told that a group called SPACE
had a minor hit in the seventies so that could have been the group that
you where listening to.  HAWKWIND have been through several types of
music ( Psychadelia, heavy metal, punk and evan god forbid a little bit
of funk (the aubegine that eat rangoon)) but this discription really
doesnt sound at all like them.
	Doug mentioned that they like to play their synths using the
knobs and not the keyboards, well although partly true it is not the
whole story, in the early days of the HAWKS (1969 -> 71) the electronic
sounds where created using frequency generators ( yes the sort that you
will find in any electronics lab, sine wave output, frequency controll,
amplitude control and that was it).  They then advanced on to a
analogue synth called the VCS3 which still had lots of knobs but could
also use a keyboard!!! (this synth was also used by GONG, STEVE
HILLAGE, HERE and NOW and PINK FLOYD on the dark side of the moon
album).By now HAWKWIND have advanced on to modern digital synths BUT
they still use analogue synths (korg ms20 i think) for the elecronic
noises.

	Time to die
	andy
	love and peace.

A.COBLEY%DUNDEE@UCL-CS

all spelling is relative, thats why i cant spell.

--------