Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Deciphering Kate Bush

From: harvard!topaz!jer@peorxp
Date: 16 Oct 85 08:37:06 -30000 (Wed)
Subject: Deciphering Kate Bush

This morning while driving to work and listening to "Suspended in Gaffa,"
an idea occurred to me.  I don't know if this would work, but maybe it
would...

What if you put the right and left channels of the recording,
respectively, into the + and - inputs of an op-amp?  If you varied the
amplitude of the input signals, it seems to me that you would be able to
cancel out various parts of the recording, i.e., those parts that were of
equal amplitude on both inputs.  I *think* you would also be able to
selectively cancel out even sounds that were biased towards the right or
the left side; because if they appeared in the other (less-dominant, say
left) side at all, you could make that side of equal amplitude compared to
the right side, cancelling it out, and signals in the left side that had
formerly been of equal amplitude to the right side would now be of greater
amplitude, and would thus reappear again (possibly shifted 180 degrees in
phase).

Has anybody ever tried this?  Will it work?  Any other signal processing
ideas that might reveal what the small voices in the background are?

------

Peora will be down for about a week, starting this morning, and so I will
not receive any love-hounds mail for that period.  (We are converting peora
to a 3250XP [the CPU for the 3260MPS, which is the multiprocessor used in
the space shuttle simulator], and the 3230 which used to be peora will have
a different name, probably peorb, and will be used for a special purpose.)
Thus if you answer the above question, or comment on any of my (alas, lengthy)
recent postings, I won't see them, probably... so don't think I am not
responding, I'll be back...
						-- jer