Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Cat food?

From: herbison%ultra.DEC@decwrl.ARPA (B.J.)
Date: Monday, 14 Oct 1985 11:55:50-PDT
Subject: Re: Cat food?

Doug:

> Kate Bush is a vegetarian for moral reasons.  So what does she feed her
> cats?

This was discussed on net.veg a while ago (I forget how long).
Apparently some people do have their animals on vegetarian diets--
they were exchanging recipes for cats.  Others didn't care what
their animals eat, or what they served them--it all depended on
what their reasons were for being a vegetarian.

topaz!jerpc.PE:

> How can you be a vegetarian for moral reasons?

Easy.  Decide that it is immoral to kill an animal for food and
then stop eating meat.  [For a start, you could decide that it
is immoral to take calves, force them to live in small, totally
dark boxes with their legs tied for a few months and then slaughter
them.  That is why veal is so tender.]

>  Sharks won't not
> eat you while you are floating out on the oceans, making sure no
> one will mistake you for a b[u]oy, just because you don't eat
> any meat yourself!

When I do something for moral reasons it is not done to affect
how others act, it is done so that I believe I am doing the
correct thing.  I don't steal cars (for moral reasons), but that
has nothing to do with whether someone steals my car -- and the
reason I don't steal cars is in not to protect my own car from
being stolen.  Your analogy does not make sense.

>  On the other hand, all the vegetarians I
> have known have a distinct "vegetarian demeanor"... I have never
> figured out which comes first.

Could you describe this "vegetarian demeanor" better?  I want to
find out if I have it.  (Moral reasons are part of the basis for
my being a vegetarian.)

> I'll bet the write-only members of this mailing list aren't
> vegetarians!

I would suggest a survey to find out how many members of this
list are write-only members, but the write-only members would
never read about it!

						B.J.
			Herbison%Ultra.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
			decvax!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-ultra!herbison