Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: HoL: SOS, Baying, Fidelity, etc.

From: harvard!topaz!jerpc.PE.UUCP
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 85 01:12:40 edt
Subject: Re: HoL: SOS, Baying, Fidelity, etc.

> You must be right, because someone else asked me "Don't you love the dog
> baying in the title song?", but it doesn't sound like dogs to me.  Then
> again, I've never owned a dog, so what do I know?  I'll believe you,
> because then those background vocals make sense and are really neat.
> Before I thought they were kind of silly....

I think it's specifically supposed to be *hounds* baying...
personally I think it's pretty corny.

> Unfortunately, with this album, and with "The Dreaming", my speakers
> can't deal with the amount of high frequency energy, my headphones can't
> deal with the amount of low frequency energy, and my car speakers can't
> deal with either.  These have no problems with most other music I listen
> to....

This is a big problem with a lot of these speakers they sell for
rock music, they build them to produce a lot of bass, and then
put these infernal no-good "ferrofluid-cooled" midrange speakers
in there, which work like the cones were glued down with bubble
gum!

I used to have this problem listening to other groups with my
speakers, so I eventually put in one of these aluminum musical
instrument horn speakers from Radio Shack*, with an L-pad to turn
it way down (it's set on about -10 "decibels" right now, which
is very low)... this also makes violins sound much better.  For
a long time, I just had them sitting on top of the speakers,
since they don't have to have any special enclosure in order to
work.

*Not the chrome-plated plastic ones!