Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Musical genres

From: Doug Alan <nessus>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 85 09:11:23 edt
Subject: Musical genres

> From: Tim Wicinski <wicinski@nrl-css.ARPA>

> .... if you like The Blasters and X, then you can't like Culture Club
> and Cyndi Lauper...

> If you like Black Flag and The Minutemen, then you can't like Soft Cell
> and Depeche Mode...

> If you like 60s-influenced paisley underground, then you can't like
> roots and rockabilly music...

> And if you're going to be like any kind of music and be serious about
> it, then it better not be Heavy Metal or mainstream hard rock...

I agree!  Actually, it's just that on average the stuff on the left is
of higher quality and more original than the stuff on the right.  But
there are exceptions to any rule, so you can't close your mind.  Soft
Cell does some really good stuff ("Tainted Love" is *not* included!  Has
anyone heard Coil's version of "Tainted Love"?  Now *that* is good!)
There is some good heavy metal: Hawkwind.  Black Sabath had a couple of
good songs.  One of my favorite songs is done by Blue Oyster Cult
("Veteran of The Psychic Wars", with lyrics by Michael Moorcock), though
most of their stuff is mediocre, and the vast majority of heavy metal is
formulated dreck.

And most "mainstream" music is unimaginative almost by definition.

				-Doug

P.S.  Tim, there's a point in your radio show where I would have smashed
the stereo, thus probably missing KB.