Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Meaning of RuTH

From: harvard!topaz!jerpc.PE.UUCP
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 85 01:11:26 edt
Subject: Re: The Meaning of RuTH

> Will it help to convince you if I tell you that both Peter Morris (one of
> the editors of Homeground, a KB fanzine) and I independently came to the
> same conclusion?

No... I don't usually take people who use words like
"connundrum" [sic.] very seriously!

However, I guess your description is fairly convincing... I
think I will write to Kate Bush and say, "see, here is this
alternative interpretation I have come up with."  I only hope
she is more responsive than whoever that other person I wrote to
was, or Ms. X.

> I should also point out that the promo video (not the one being shown on
> MTV) perfectly matches this interpretation.

But, the videos rarely have anything to do with the songs!

> There are hills and a road and a building and lovers, but no construction
> workers and no jogging.

Well... maybe... I think too much is made of "lovers" in songs
these days... I wish she would write songs about something else.
That's the good thing about Yes, and Genesis back in Peter
Gabriel's time, and Pink Floyd... they have a more diversified
view of life... however, I guess the other songs make up for
it...

> 	It's also
> 	perhaps talking about some of the fundamental differences
> 	between men and woman.

I think this is what the song is really about.

						-- jer

Today's puzzle:

If Kate Bush is such a nice person, why does she call police
"pigs"?