Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Test, Music theory, Greeks, and Werner Hertzog

From: Doug Alan <nessus>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 85 05:18:23 edt
Subject: Test, Music theory, Greeks, and Werner Hertzog

I have just restructured the Love-Hounds mailing list so that much of
the load has been moved from Eddie to another computer which I rarely
use (hopefully they won't notice!).  This means that Love-Hounds will
either become more reliable, become less reliable, remain the same, or
become totally broken.  Please tell me if you don't get this message.

> From: Steve Tynor <gatech!gitpyr!tynor>

> I've  seen  a lot of discussion on interpretation of HoL songs. While I
> find this interesting (and certainly educational), it fails to pinpoint
> the  aspect  of Kate's music that intrigues me most.

For me it's a lot easier to discuss lyrics than music.  I don't know
much about music theory, so what can I say, except "Wow!  That's great!"?
If I knew a lot about music theory, etc., I'm sure I'd bombard you all
with detailed analysis of Kate's music too.

Here's a musical question.  Kate said once that something on "Hounds of
Love" was inspired by a Greek ritual ceremony.  I assumed that this was
the chorus in "Hello Earth".  But it turns out that that music was taken
from the movie "Nosferatu".  So that's where Werner Hertzog comes in,
Laura.

Where is the music inspired by the Greek ritual ceremony?  Maybe in
"Waking The Witch" perhaps?

And while we're on music theory, I have sheet music for much of Kate's early
stuff, and back then she oftened changed time signatures like every
other measure.  Is this unusual and what perceptual effects does it
have?

				"Help this blackbird"

				 Doug