Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Test, Music theory, Greeks, and Werner Hertzog

From: harvard!topaz!jerpc.PE.UUCP
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 85 01:08:20 edt
Subject: Re: Test, Music theory, Greeks, and Werner Hertzog

> And while we're on music theory, I have sheet music for much of Kate's early
> stuff, and back then she oftened changed time signatures like every
> other measure.  Is this unusual and what perceptual effects does it
> have?

Yes also does this.  They also change key very frequently (this
was what Rich Rosen liked about the end of Topographic Oceans,
you'll remember: it changed keys rapidly, in the process
describing a chord in some unusual scale.)  Actually, though,
their music frequently had no real time signature at all, and
thus you would frequently find notes tied across measures,
because they just didn't fit the time signature they were using.
Does Kate Bush do that?  (I don't know.... I don't know beans
about music theory, either.)