Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Experimental testing of KB on Uninitiated

From: harvard!topaz!petsd!peora!jer
Date: Thursday, 10 Oct 1985 11:41-EDT
Subject: Experimental testing of KB on Uninitiated

Yesterday I did an experiment, viz., gave the person who I mentioned
recently as having the "Hawkwind" tape a Kate Bush tape to listen to.
He is this person from Iran, who usually seems to listen to "Easy Listening"
music.  I wanted to see how someone with an outside perspective saw the
music.  Here are his comments, as best as I can remember them...

   Tell me what you think of the music first, so I will know what
   to say.

   <here I told him I generally liked it.>

   Well, the music, it is too fast!  It is the very "hard rock"
   kind.  It changes in the same song.  You think you are
   listening to the classics, and suddenly it is the hard rock,
   the very hard rock.  The stories are very good, though, they
   are very much like the "Pink Floyd". ...  Can I keep the tape
   for a few more days?  My wife, she does not like it, but I
   want to listen to it in the car some more still.

I thought that was a good description, except the "too fast" part...
but it was sort of interesting to observe his comments.  Notice also the
"SO doesn't like it" property of the music, which someone mentioned
recently in here.

I am going to try it out on some other people also and see what they think.
Many of the people here are from other countries, and so it is interesting
to see what comments they have on the music, since it often brings out
nonobvious properties.