Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Hawkwind, Motorhead, GNU, Kate a witch?, Inner City Unit, etc.

From: harvard!topaz!jerpc.PE.UUCP
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 85 03:10:29 edt
Subject: Re: Hawkwind, Motorhead, GNU, Kate a witch?, Inner City Unit, etc.

> >	  Specifically I would like to know what people think about
> >	  HAWKWIND in the states, over here in Britain they are one
> >	  of three things ;-
> >				1:ignored,
> >				2:dispised
> >				3:loved
>
> Here, no one has ever heard of them, so they are either ignored or
> loved.  People who would despise them have never heard of them.  This is

Hey, now, wait, I have heard of them, but I am puzzled.
Actually I just heard of them today.  One of the MTSs at the
company I work for had this tape which was broken which he
brought to me to fix; while fixing it, I noticed that it was a
very old (he said 10 yrs old) tape which said "Hawkwind/Space"
on it.  "Aha!" I thought, "This is the group Doug is always
talking about!"

So I played it... but it was very disappointing!  It had this
very ordinary rhythm, that went sort of bup-bup-de-bup over and
over, and a sort of soft, staccato accompaniment, which sounded
sort of like a vibraphone, and a woman singing what sounded like
a jazz-influenced song.  I listened to several spots on the tape
at random, and they all seemed very similar!  Nothing like the
variety and complexity of Kate Bush.  Do I have the wrong group,
or was this a bad example of their music, or what?
(Incidentally, all the other tapes this person had with him were
"easy listening" tapes.  I told him I was going to loan him my
Kate Bush tape tomorrow so he could hear some interesting
music.)