Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Did you like HoL first time through?

From: harvard!topaz!jerpc.PE.UUCP
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 85 03:10:40 edt
Subject: Re: Did you like HoL first time through?

> What do the rest of you think?  Are there any KB fans who didn't like "The Ninth
> Wave" the first time?  What do people that haven't heard her other work think
> of the new album?

Well, first off, I think the phenomenon you described is very
typical of the "harder" progressive rock groups.  It is
especially true of Genesis, in my opinion, back when Peter
Gabriel was with them; many of their songs from that period
sound like plain ordinary NOISE the first time you listen to
them, and it takes a lot of work to begin to hear anything in
it.  Tales From Topographic Oceans is another good example
of that.  On the other hand, Pink Floyd doesn't usually have
this property, eventhough they are likewise very good.

Now, to answer your question, it took me 3 tries to listen to
"The Ninth Wave" all the way through (I started with that side,
not the other).  However, this was because it did (and continues
to) strike me as somewhat thin and nonmusical compared to "The
Dreaming", particularly the 2nd and 3rd songs.

My opinion is that she eliminated a lot of the complexity that
was present in "The Dreaming" on this album.  (I guess this
tells which interpretation of "The next time I dedicate my
life's work to the friends I make, I give them what they want to
hear" was the right one.)  I have not yet made up my mind about
The Ninth Wave yet; only the first 2 songs, so far, have tended
to stay with me for any period of time, and the 2nd kept me
awake for a long time one night because of its very rapid,
urgent rhythm (just try having it playing in your head while you
are trying to go to sleep!).  I generally like the 1st song,
although I don't really think it is particularly striking, YET.
I have only listened to it maybe 5 times so far, though.