Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Bush & Anderson's Allusions to Old Movies; other comments

From: harvard!jerpc.PE!topaz!jer (Eric Roskos @ Home)
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 85 04:12:31 edt
Subject: Bush & Anderson's Allusions to Old Movies; other comments

I have a question for someone familiar with old movies... in "There Goes
a Tenner," part of the song goes:

	Both my partners
	Act like actors.
	You are Bogart;
	He is George Raft.
	That leaves Cagney and me.
	(What about Edward G?)

Likewise, in Jon Anderson's "The Friends of Mr. Cairo," there are some lines
that go:

	Citizen Kane came fast and quickly,
	Conquering all New York City.
	Poking fun at superstition,
	Media became television.
	Give me Cagney anyday,
	Or Jimmy Stuart for President;
	Or Edward G and all those guys
	Who always shoot between the eyes...

Who is this "Edward G"?  Is he some person portrayed by Cagney?  What movie
is he in?

While on this subject, actually, I have another question... in the latter
song, above, there are also several references to the "Maltese Falcon".
Wasn't this a movie or something?  There are two such references; the latter
I am curious about.  The first (which immediately preceeds the lines I
quoted above) goes:

	The boys had gone, but not his gun.
	They left a note to lead him on
	The chase to find the Maltese Falcon.
	You bet.

The latter, spoken, goes:

	Listen, I have arranged, M-Mr. Spade, for... for all of you people to...
	to come here this evening.  And... and I know you have been searched,
	but... but what you don't realize is that in the back of the
	Maltese Falcon, I have a

At this point in the song, the film breaks, or runs out, or something.  Is
the above actually from the movie?  If so, what is in the back of the Maltese
Falcon, anyway?  (The above could be some kind of joke... I suspect the song
has a number of such jokes, since I figure, for example, that early in the
song, when he says "Listen, sweetheart, we've got three million in the can
here... we'll look after him, we'll send a card to his mother." that this
is actually referring to the earnings for the movie ("the can" referring
to the can the film is stored in) rather than something in an actual movie.)
I would be interested in finding out the names of any movies that actually
are referenced in that song, though, since I have never seen any of them,
and would like to watch them to find out more about the song, if I knew
which they were.  However, I don't watch many old movies; about the only ones
I have seen that I can remember are "Sargent York," "Mr. Smith Goes to
Washington," and "Modern Times".

Finally, unrelated to the above, but something interesting... I noticed
tonight while listening to "Sat in Your Lap" that Kate Bush uses a musical
device which Steve Howe also uses a lot, which I am very fond of. This
involves having the music accompanying the voice part anticipate new
themes that appear in the voice; specifically, just before "Give me the
Karma Mama".  She doesn't do this as beautifully as Howe (for a really
amazing example, listen to "The Revealing Science of God" on _Tales_From_
_Topographic_Oceans_, e.g., preceeding "Talk to the sunlight, caller; soft
summer-mover, distance, mine.").  I wonder if there is a name for this?
Usually in songs the voice part makes the first statement of new themes
that appear in the middle of the song, I think.  (Though I could be
wrong).