Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-03 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RUTH video

From: Doug Alan <nessus>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 85 03:13:49 edt
Subject: RUTH video

Here is a description of Kate's original video for RUTH that I posted to
net.music, but neglected to send to love-hounds:

The original promo video is largely a work of modern ballet that Kate
choreographed and performed with a male dancer.  It is completely
wonderful.  Both Kate and the male dancer are dressed exactly the same,
in blue-grey shirts and strange blue-grey skirts.  Parts of the dance
seem to symbolize being scared of love, which is the theme of the A-side
of "Hounds of Love".  At one point in the dance, Kate and the male
dancer become symbolically crucified on each other.  There is also mimed
archery.  Later, a croud of people all dressed like Kate and wearing
masks of the male dancer's face separate Kate and the male dancer.
Later Kate struggles through and tries to climb over the same croud, but
this time they are wearing masks with *her* face.  Eventually, she seems
to drown in the croud of Kate Bush's -- symbolizing how we are forever
trapped within ourselves.

		"It breaks the cage, fear escapes and takes possession
		 Just like a croud rioting inside"

		 Doug