Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Disco, RUTH video, HoL vs. other Kate

From: harvard!bu-cs!sam@bu-cs (Shelli Meyers)
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 85 11:42:14 edt
Subject: Disco, RUTH video, HoL vs. other Kate

>[Jim:] I always thought of 'disco' per se to be defined as 4 beats
>to the measure with bass on 1 and 3  and the third beat to be
>strongly accented.  If I remember someone said the 4th beat
>which is more like the tango ('cept you add an extra beat).

So, in your opinion (you're the only professional opinion we've got
here, I think), is RUTH a disco beat?  And is that fairlight hook
also classically disco?

>>> [Doug:] (Actually the *best* thing about the song is that it's the
>>> music to the most amazing video ever made!)

>> [Laura:] I detect some unqualified enthusiasm here!  While Kate is my
>> favorite, I don't necessarily think everything she does is the "best
>> ever done".

> [Doug:] But the video for RUTH just totally blows me away!
> Shelli agrees with me too (don't you?)!

Yes yes yes...the imagery used is simply heartwrenching (see one of
Doug's earlier articles for details), and the photography is just
perfect.  Everything is soft and gray and fuzzy...and it all fits
in with the lyrics and mood of the song.  Very powerful in
a subtle way.  It gets my vote for best video...and I was raised
on eMpTy-V.

>Kate Bush song for the first time, "Running up That Hill".  I was
>surprised at how much I liked the song.  I hope it is representative
>of the rest of Kate Bush's material.

I think it's sort of in the middle of her two poles.  Her early stuff
is all love ballads, and although they are diverse, the style is much
the same.  Then there's The Dreaming, which is nothing like anything.
RUTH strikes me as being a neat combination of both of those artistic
types...no one can deny RUTH is a powerful love song, but the intricate
rhythms remind me of stuff on The Dreaming.  Anybody else feel the
same way?  I can't wait to get Hounds of Love!!!

        (Is it December yet?)
            --Shelli