Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: re: ball of confusion

From: harvard!topaz!jerpc.PE.UUCP
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 85 01:49:34 edt
Subject: Re: re: ball of confusion

> but...anyway, the line, /and the band played on/, as someone mentioned
> comes from another tune.  I'm guessing they paraphrased it from
> the G.Dead's "The music never stopped".../and the band kept playing on!/

No, no, the Grateful Dead isn't responsible for *EVERYTHING*,
you know.  "And The Band Played On" was not a rock-type piece of
music.  I wish I remembered the words to it; I'm sure if someone
told me the first line, I'd remember them, but as it is, all I
can remember is the ending:

	His head was so loaded,
	It nearly exploded;
	The poor girl, she shook with alarm!
	<something> <something> the girl
	With the strawberry curl,
	And the band played on.

If you read Bob August's syndicated column (he's from Columbus
Ohio, or something), you may recall recently he mentioned the
song "Three Little Fishes"... well, the above song was of the
same genre as that song, although I don't know what you call
that genre, only that it was popular with "young people" of a
certain generation, just as rock is today.*

I do remember the music for the above song; if you're really
interested, I can try to figure some notation for writing it
down here.  But, ever since I spent hours transcribing "The
Billboard" ("As I was walking down the street/A billboard met my
eye; the advertisements written there/Would make you laugh and
cry") for A Prairie Home Companion, and then they didn't sing it
on the air, I haven't been fond of transcribing music for
people.

*Not *my* generation, though... I'm the same age as Kate Bush.

Shyy-Anzr: J. Eric Roskos
UUCP-Mail: vax135!petsd!peora!jerpc.PE!jer

	->(EWR)/SEA