Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: ball of confusion

From: Jim Hofmann <hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 85 10:42:28 EDT
Subject: Re: ball of confusion

> -Doug
> I meant disco as "music specially crafted for the contemporary
> dance market".  There's lots of danceable music that I wouldn't call
> disco (like funk?), but "disco" it would seem almost by definition is
> what they play in discos, and they are playing RUTH in discos.  It's
> even 38 on the U.S. 12 inch single disco charts and climbing.

> A lot of disco now isn't extremely similar to 70s style disco (boy was
> 70s disco awful!).  Now, most of it seems to be a kind of new wave synth
> pop (which RUTH probably is in some sense, but completely transcends).

I kinda just like the all-encompassing term - dance music.  Disco puts
a bad taste in my mouth.  New Wave died 4 years ago during a certain
BIRTHDAY PARTY hosted by Nick Cave and L Lunch.  Dance music can mean
almost anything though so maybe we should have a contest to give a
name to 80's dance music.  Then again, maybe not. Labels seem to be
one of the major problems in music today.  When I mention to people
before listening to a certain cut that the group can be described as
punk I get an instant reaction regardless of whether the person has
heard the cut.  Likewise, I exhibit similiar trepidations when someone
tells me the group we're going to see is 'Top 40' however I could be
missing a great find like the FLYING LIZARDS, or THE BOBS who do great
versions of former TOP 40 stuff.  That is begging the issue since I
don't know anyone who would seriously call FL and BOBS Top 40 so no
flames on that.  I try to keep an open mind and I hope others do, too.
But some people do look foolish when they stick only to one genre.  I
found this years ago when I played a TUBES tape to a country music fan.
Seems she was expecting the same sort of sound they did in that Country
send-up of years back (which made it on the C&W charts and even won
an award).  Boy, was she suprised when she heard "White Punks ..."
and "Sports Fans."

As for the comment a bit back about me being a resident punk expert.
Well, not really, but there are enough other love-hounds punk/thrash/
hardcore listeners who collectively might make up some sort of 'expert'.

Oh, and I don't know where Doug Alan lives. And I wouldn't break
in to steal his SOFT BOYS stuff, I want to get my hands on his CD Player
instead and all of his rare Pink Floyd and CD's.  Besides, I already
have a good SOFT BOYS collection but if I send you a tape maybe you
can tape Robyns first solo album for me? Pretty, like, please, Doug?
Did you order it from WAYSIDE?

"I belong to Humanity, in Humanity there *are* no labels" - Pearl Bailey

Jim Annihilation, no really, Hofmann.