Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Readers Digest version of 21 Sep 85 Record Mirror

From: Doug Alan <nessus>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 85 03:34:03 edt
Subject: Readers Digest version of 21 Sep 85 Record Mirror

	RED LORRY YELLOW LORRY

	'Spinning Round' (Red Rhino)

	What a butch voice this man has.  Red Lorry Yellow Lorry come at
	you with Cramps-style slicing guitar, grade one 'teach yourself
	drums' percussion and a singer who sounds like he's got a lolly
	stick on his tongue as he's saying 'aaahh' to his doctor.  Which
	adds up to the most lively, enthusiastic record to jump up and
	down to I've heard in years.  Mind blowing.

	--------------------

	LOVE AND ROCKETS

	'If There's A Heaven Above' (Beggars Banquet)

	Listening to Love and Rockets -- Bauhaus as was, save the
	elfin-like Peter Murphy -- you appreciate bassist David Jay's
	admission that they're influenced by 'Sergeant Pepper'.  Cosmic
	Beatlish vocals mix with chugging electronic beat, shrill
	psychedelic guitar and an alluringly relaxed feel.  Infinitely
	preferable to their previous 'Ball of Confusion' cover.  Love
	and Rockets leave the goths to play with themsleves and float
	off into the stratosphere on a haze of hypnotic sounds.

"Ball of Confusion" is a cover?  So who did it originally?

	--------------------

	KATE BUSH

	'Hounds Of Love' (EMI)

	[Rave, rave]

	... recaptures the ground Kate lost with her last album, where
	I thought she seldom hit the targets she was aiming at and
	generally sounded uncomfortable.

Boo!  Hiss!

	[Rave, rave]

	... A howling success?  I think so.

	(5 stars)

Out of the 8 reviews I've found for HOL, there have been 5 rave reviews
(5 star or better type thing), 2 almost-rave reviews, and one mixed but
positive review.  Not a negative review in sight.  I'm starting to
worry!  If something's great, there's always someone who will hate it.

Well, at least the lyrics must be great, because the two almost-rave
reviews didn't like the lyrics.  One called them "Hippy Dippy" and the
other said they were "often daft".  Both said, though, that the music is
so beautiful it doesn't make any difference.

	--------------------

	Smart girl Part II: eternal 'dream child' KATE BUSH pulled off
	quite a coup last week when launching her newie 'The Hounds Of
	Love' at London's cosmic Laserium.  The assembled hacks were
	made to recline in their seats and listen to the whole album and
	watch an accompnaying light show that would have done HAWKWIND
	proud, before being unleashed on the free food and drink.

Shit!  And no one invited me!?!  But now there's an idea!  Kate should
do a collaboration with Hawkwind!  (Then again, maybe not....)

	--------------------

	Win a portable CD player!

	(1) What was the title of Kate Bush's most recent hit?  Was it
	(a) Running Up Huge Bills? (b) Turning Double Cartwheels? (c)
	Running Up That Hill?

I think you'd have to have seen the "Wuthering Heights" video to
appreciate the allusion in (b)....

	--------------------

	LETTERS

	* Can you explain why everyone is welcoming Kate Bush back with
	open arms?  OK, so she makes the odd good record, but all this
	poncy dancing in the video makes her look like Vampira or
	something.

	This is 1985, not 1975 and it's about time Kate and her fans
	woke up to this fact.  Running up that hill?  More like running
	over the hill, if you ask me!

	-- Chris Rose, Leeds

	+ She may not be the greatest dancer, Chris, but what a single!

Oooh, two people who don't like the greatest video ever made, and one
who doesn't like her music so much!  Maybe I'm regaining some faith.

	* I'm fed up hearing and reading about Madonna, Kate Bush and Tina
	Turner.  In every cinema, in every magazine and in every
	newspaper, they're the only female singers you'll ever come
	across.

	[Bonnie Tyler, Laura Branigan, Hazell Dean]  When was the last
	time rm interviewed these talented, but underrated ladies?

	-- Alan, South London

Snicker.  Snicker.

	Finally, congratulations to KATE BUSH, number 82 with 'Running
	Up That Hill', which thus improves on the number 85 peak of her
	only previous US chart entry, 'The Man With The Child In His
	Eyes'...

-Doug