Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Disco?

From: harvard!topaz!jerpc.PE.UUCP
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 85 21:44:20 edt
Subject: Re: Disco?

> Does disco even have a definition for contemporary (past few years)
> music?
>           ---Shelli

Actually, disco DOES have a definition; it is a distinct
metrical form, just like the "waltz," the "foxtrot," etc.
Unfortunately, I've forgotten what it is, and since I don't like
"disco" music, I can't remember any "disco" songs in order to
determine it.  As I recall, it's something like this: it has 4
beats per measure, and the 4th one of each measure is very
strongly accented.  This rhythm is said to underly ALL disco songs.
(Well, whichever one is the "true" disco rhythm.)

This was told to me by the brother of a friend of mine who was a
music major; (well, the friend of mine was a CS major, his
brother was the music major), so I can't claim to have any very
reliable source for the information... but as I recall it held
up well under informal testing.