Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Disco?

From: harvard!bu-cs!sam@bu-cs (Shelli Meyers)
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 85 16:34:02 edt
Subject: Disco?

As Doug once mentioned, R.U.T.H. is the most-requested song
on one of our Boston radio stations, WFNX.  (Of course, this
is only because Doug and I each call 30 to 40 times a day,
but that's beside the point.)

Anyway, I've heard RUTH referred to as "disco".  I don't know
about anybody else, but when I think of disco, types like
Michael Jackson and the Pointer Sisters, and Saturday Night
Fever come to mind.  Yes, RUTH is *dancable*, but I hardly
think it disco.  There are parts of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture
that have a strong beat that you could dance to as well.

Does disco even have a definition for contemporary (past few years)
music?  Or did it die with the Bee Gees?  (Oh *LORD* I hope so....
even though I *like* Madonna....<sorry Doug>...)

          ---Shelli