Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Records Stores/Mail Ordering/Rare Records/Information

From: bdmrrr!potomac!jsl@seismo.CSS.GOV (John Labovitz)
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 85 15:51:48 edt
Subject: Re: Records Stores/Mail Ordering/Rare Records/Information

> Date: Thu, 19 Sep 85 13:13:23 edt
> From: Tim Wicinski <bdmrrr!seismo!nrl-css.ARPA!wicinski>
> To: love-hounds%mit-eddie.ARPA
> Subject: Records Stores/Mail Ordering/Rare Records/Information
>
> I want to find some decent record stores that deal with hard to find
> and rare records. I especially through mail order. I also would like
> to find those stupid record auction magazines. I have an old one
> that was sent to me, they only put out one issue, then went under. They
> had some people auctioning off some decent stuff (old Zappa/Beefhart, I
> saw a hard to find Eno single).  What I am looking for are the Eno/Schmidt
> Oblique Strategies cards that were out for awhile.

Have you been to Yesterday and Today Records in Rockville (Maryland, for all
you non-DC-area folks)?  They have a lot of rare and strange records there.

> I also want to
> dig up as much music by Jonathan Richman as I can find ( you should know
> him Doug, he is from Boston also!!)

OOHH OOHH!  You like Jonathan too???? Yeaaaaaaaa... you MUST be cool.  I'm
trying to get all his stuff too.  I wrote to him a while ago (the address of
his fan club is on the Rockin' and Romance album), and he sent me a list of
all the records he's done.  If you want, I can xerox the thing and send it
to you (or I could type it in, but it's written by Jonathan himself, and is
pretty funny).

Lessee, I've got ``Rockin' and Romance,'' ``Back in Your Life,'' ``The
Original Modern Lovers'' (which, according to Jonathan, is not *actually*
the Original Modern Lovers -- it's a bootleg album, and Jonathan hates it),
a 12" EP which just came out (has Farad & Sheeran (or whatever it is), Just
Beginning to Live, and a couple others), and the album that has Pablo
Picasso and Astral Plain on it (I don't know the name of the album -- I just
have the tape).  I still need to get ``Jonathan Sings'' (which is luckily
still in print) and any others.

Have you seen him in concert?  He played at the Saba Club in April and
August, and at the (old) Adam's 21 last June.  I think he comes around once
or twice a year.

By the way, he's living in Grass Valley, CA now.  He and his wife just had a
baby girl.  (Hard to believe him being a father, isn't it?  That kid is
going to turn out great.)

--
John Labovitz		..!{rlgvax,seismo}!bdmrrr!potomac!jsl