Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

re: ball of confusion

From: Jim Hofmann <hofmann@AMSAA.ARPA>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 85 16:29:31 EDT
Subject: re: ball of confusion

Found a little more about this dance gem Ball of Confusion:  Comes from a group
called LOVE AND ROCKETS, which is a bit oxymorish if you ask me
but...anyway, the line, /and the band played on/, as someone mentioned
comes from another tune.  I'm guessing they paraphrased it from
the G.Dead's "The music never stopped".../and the band kept playing on!/

They really have gotton the sound of the drone guitar down to a science
and I don't really know if I'll like it the NEXT time I hear it like this

I have the 12" in my hands now and it probably won't see the light of
day for a week or so as it sits on turntable #1.  Lots of references
to 60's rock in it, hmmmmm.  I've also heard it in the chic dance
clubs 'round here. [ no, I was really outside when I heard it cause
one of the dives I frequent is right next to one - so DON'T get any
ideas about me!].  This could be the dance tune of the summer!  Well,
next to Running Up the Hill, huh, guys?

Speaking of RUTH (ever hear the story about Ruth from the bible?), um,
that little synth line that bridges the opening into the chorus.  It
sounds like a 70's disco hook.  I just can't place my memory on it.
The synth sound takes the happiness out of the orginal hook and flattens
it out, I guess to make the mood more depressing(?).

Well, I think Kate needs more drone anyway.  INCOMING!!! DUCK!!! Just
kidding guys (and gals).

-JIM HOFMU ...
"The jazz was the same shape as the keyhole, so that went through, the
blues was lean and conditioned to suffering so it snugged through, but
the rock was big like a sausage and got stuck in the middle ear to
the ground." - John Paul Ziller