Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-02 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Relayer Demise

From: Doug Alan <nessus>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 85 00:55:40 edt
Subject: Re: Relayer Demise

> Doug Alan recently posted in net.music some information about a Yes
> "fanzine" called "Relayer".  [...] there is something really bizarre
> about this group... they seem to have a great fondness for photographs
> of the backs of Yes members' heads!

Hey, no fair!  Kate Bush fanzines never print pictures of the back of
Kate's head!  We're not getting a well-rounded view of her.

> They also have an interesting order form for a "Yes: the Authorized
> Biography," though... you can order it for #8.95 (that's 8 pounds 95,
> they don't take US currency, either).  [...] I haven't ordered it as
> yet (they suggest you get an international money order from
> "Barclay's", whoever that is), so I don't know if it is any good or
> not.

Getting international money orders for British pounds (at least in
Boston) is *very* expensive.  The cheapest place I have found charges an
$11 surcharge.  You can get an international money order from the post
office for less than $3, but they are no good if the people you are
paying won't take U.S. currency, because the Post office money orders
are for U.S. dollars.  Also the Post Office money orders are sent under
separate cover, which is obnoxious and causes problems.

The best option I have found is to send British cash, which you can get
at a bank.  Unfortunately, they apparently stopped making one pound
notes in England.  This is a real pain, because you have to try to make
your order fit neatly into a multiple of 5 pounds.

Anyone have a bunch of extra one pound notes they'd be willing to trade
for larger bills?

-Doug