Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1985-01 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Letter from Europe

From: Doug Alan <Nessus@MIT-EECS>
Date: 19 Aug 85 17:43:08 EDT
Subject: Letter from Europe

I just got a letter from a friend who is youth hostel-ing around
Europe.  He says a couple things of interest to KB fans:

	It was in Germany two weeks ago where first I heard "A Deal
	With God".  It was in German, so I can't really judge it for
	lyrics, though Kate was piping away beautifically!

Oh no!  There's a version of a Kate Bush song I don't have!  German?
She's never done a song in German before (that I know of).  She does
have two songs in French: A French version of "The Infant Kiss" and
"Ne T'Enfuis Pas".  Maybe she'll do a Peter Gabriel and come out with
a version of "Hounds of Love" in German....  Kate Bush is pretty
popular in France and Germany, I believe (at least "Suspended In
Gaffa" went into the Top-10 there!)

	The music wasn't that good though however -- just Preston
	Haymen using the exact same drum program he used with Nelson
	on the Vistamix tour last year.

I've never seen Bill Nelson live, but it looks as if Drew (that's the
person who wrote the letter) had pretty much the same reaction on
first hearing as me.  (It's grown on me a lot since then, though.)

	Later, though, I heard another tune of hers on German radio --
	in English -- which was real good, though I can't remember the
	name -- though, I presume it was the "B" side.

Looks like he had the same reaction to "Under The Ivy" as me!

	Back in London there are posters all over (yes I tried and
	failed to rip one down) for the 12", but it advertizes "That
	Big Hill" or something.

Damn!  I know where I can get one of those, but they want $25!  It's
41" X 60", which is more like a billboard than a poster!

	Just to piss you off I went and saw Roy Harper.

I want to see him!  I love Roy Harper!  So does Kate Bush!  Drew had
never heard any of his stuff, but I told him he was great.

	I caught half the show for 4 Pounds -- it was damn good -- and
	that's from someone who can't stand goddamn boring acoustic
	guitar folksy stuff.  It was just him and an electro-acoustic
	type guitar -- but really good, though I don't know any of the
	tunes he played.  Bunch of new stuff -- I should have picked
	up the album for you, but I forgot.

No good cretin!

	I mean it really was a decent show -- the guitar playing
	wasn't technically incredible, but was creatively dynamic in a
	song writing sort of way.  He was pissed at the audience cause
	they didn't know his tunes etc.  -- he wore a skin head wig
	for the encore.

-Doug
-------