(These lyrics were originally from Andrew Marvick's
Woman's Work page
"My Lagan Love"
B-side of Cloudbusting single
Traditional, lyrics by John Carder Bush
[Note: The melody of this song is traditional. The lyrics most often
heard with this melody date from a later period than the tune itself. Kate
asked her brother John Carder Bush to compose new lyrics to the melody for her
own recording. These are the lyrics which follow.]
- When rainy nights are soft with tears,
- And Autumn leaves are falling,
- I hear his voice on tumbling waves
- And no one there to hold me.
- At evening's fall he watched me walk.
- His heart was mine.
- But my love was young, and felt
- The world was not cruel, but kind.
- Where Lagan's light fell on the hour,
- I saw him far below me--
- Just as the morning calmed the storm--
- With no one there to hold him.
- My loves have come, my loves have gone,
- And nothing's left to warn me,
- Save for a voice on the traveling wind,
- And the glimpse of a face at morning.
This Woman's Work page