Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-33 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: "coming out" proper English?

From: skipperway@aol.com (Skipperway)
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 10:16:35 -0500
Subject: Re: "coming out" proper English?
To: <rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net>
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

As a previous writer noted, it can be used to describe a debutante being
 introduced to adult society.  This would happen at her "coming out" party.  I
 don't know if this term was ever employed for young men or not.

I, too, like the idea that his son is "coming out" to pursue the work his
 father began.  If it  seems a little semantically cranky, I would think it was
 due to Kate's desire to reuse the "sun's coming out line" for the nice double
 entendre (like in Hamlet - "I am too much i' the sun").  It works well enough
 for me, though.

As far a song interpretation goes, I agree that it is important to let everyone
 have their own spin on a song (everyone does, of course).  Nevertheless, as a
 teacher of literature (among other things), I think it is also important to
 build a case for one's interpretation - substantiate it.  Each individual can
 determine for themselves whether or not they think a given theory is justified
 by the text (and background research), but hopefully the better case you can
 make, the more folks will fall into agreement with you.  Whether they support
 you social/ethical/political ideas or not.

-Shelley