Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Bursting the Gay Cloud part 3

From: markwegner@webtv.net (Mark Wegner)
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 20:12:00 -0600
Subject: Bursting the Gay Cloud part 3
To: dillardb@pilot.msu.edu, love-hounds@gryphon.com

Brian, I am not attacking you as a person here, but you must understand
that certain songs were written with certain themes in mind and Kate has
always stated that Cloudbursting is based on the Book Of Dreams, and
doesn't mention a hidden theme of homosexuality, but if you want to make
up your own meaning to the song to fit your own personal lifestyle I
have no problem with that.  But don't shove your off the wall theory
down my throat.  It seems that you are the closed minded one on this,
and I could come back at you and quote a number of references to
homosexuality in Kate's work and theorize how Kate is making fun of
homosexuality, but i will not.  And is Kate homophobic?  Of course not.
But I can quote lines in songs to you and make a case that she is.
Get it??  I said this before and I will say it one last time:  you can
make a logical argument for almost any song to be about almost any
subject.  Therefore, it helps to know the context in which the song was
written, as in Cloudbursting and The Book Of Dreams.  It is really so
simple.  But then again, maybe this is just over my head, and Kate lied,
and just you and a few select others are intuitive enough to figure
these songs out.  I guess Kate can outsmart me, but she sure can't
outsmart you!

                         Mark

some roads...