Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: "Emily" of Wow

From: Mike Wade <mwade@oxfam.org.uk>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 1997 08:51:00 -0000
Subject: RE: "Emily" of Wow
To: "love-hounds@gryphon.com" <love-hounds@gryphon.com>

Sheila asked: " At the beginning of "Wow" Kate says "Emily".  Does
anyone know why?  Who is
Emily?"

As I understand it, this is a reference to Emily Bronte, author of
Wuthering Heights (not to mention some rather wonderful poetry). I'm not
sure if its significance at the start of Wow, although you could put
together a fairly neat argument on how it was Emily's book that set Kate
off into (her part of) the world of showbiz featured in the song.  Might
be stretching it a bit though.

Mike