Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

KaTe references in RS

From: "DJH" <donna@tatung.math.uconn.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 1997 10:15:31 +0000
Subject: KaTe references in RS
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Comments: Authenticated sender is <donna@tatung.math.uconn.edu>

Issue 773, November 13, 1997
30Th anniversary issue
Women of Rock (xXx)

Page 26, Index of Interviews (lists artist and brief snippet of
interview)

k.d. lang "I was 16, living in Consort, Alberta, in the middle of
nowhere, and by the magic of God, I heard Kate Bush on the radio and
just about died."

Page 104, Tori Amos Interview

Q: "Is there a woman who was a role model for you musically?"

A:  "As I was growing up, I kept my ears open.  Whether it was Debbie
Harry or Laurie Anderson or Kate Bush or Joni Mitchell, they all
affected me.  You know, the dangerous thing about listening is that
you don't really knkow the effect it's going to have.  It can have a
profound effect;  you don't know who your next teacher's going to be.
 I don't discount that I was always listening and that I picked up
things from artists, male and female, who weren't necessarily on my
record player."

Page 129, k.d. lang interview

Q:  "What was the first album or song that you recall rocking your
world?"

A:  "Kate Bush, 'Wuthering Heights.'  I was 16 years old, living in
Consort, Alberta, in the middle of nowhere, and by the magic of God,
it got on the radio, and I just about died."

Page 179-181, High Notes - Women have been responsible for some of
rock & roll's most influential recordings.  Here's a selective
discography...

Page 180 - Kate Bush, The Kick Inside.  Armed with a four-octave
range and a prodigious talent on the piano, British singer/songwriter
Kate Bush began recording at 16.  Four years later, her well-crafted
first album, 'The Kick Inside', became the prototype for art rock,
girly-girl style.  Tender ballads like "The Man With the Child in His
Eyes" displayed Bush's lovely soprano, which careened into the
stratosphere on "Wuthering Heights" (her take on Emily Bronte).
Bush' musings and dramatic flair would impact future piano goddesses
such as Tori Amos, among others.  (1978, EMI America)