Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Homophobia (Was: Oh by the way)

From: mikael.jakonen@mailbox.swipnet.se (Mikael Jakonen)
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 06:42:28 +0200 (MET DST)
Subject: Homophobia (Was: Oh by the way)
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.uu.net

K Bacon <s340090@student.uq.edu.au> writes

>        It seems that some people did not perhaps read my early email on
>interpretation.  I also agree that some people are 'missing the point', but
>I don't think they are people who may feel that "Your son's coming out"
>refers to homosexuality.
>        As I typed last time, people should be given the freedom to
>interpret songs how they wish, EVEN if the song-writer based the song on
>something specific (such as a childhood book).  I am absolutely sure that
>Kate Bush would be horrified to know that every one of her fans interpreted
>a particular song exactly the same way!!  Song writers don't write songs so
>that everyone can feel the same, or interpret it the same!!  The whole point
>of music (including lyrics) is that every person on this planet has a
>personal feeling - or unique interpretation - about a song he/she hears.

I think everyone should be given the freedom to think what they want.
As for interpreting songs, I believe that a songwriter have a specific
interpretation in mind when writing the lyrics. I think of it as a game
like "guess my interpretation". Back in the 'good old days' when I too
had a band, I made some songs. (Not that any of them ever came close to
the standards of the preferences of fellow Love-Hounds...)
One of my songs told a story about a half-sadistic freeway-construction
worker about to demolish a house with an excavator.
If I heard anyone interpreting the song as promoting sadistic behaviour,
I would be deeply offended. Nor do I like the idea of thinking
people interpreting it as an OK to use violence as means to oppose
local-governmental decisions.

>        It is a worry that homophobia is prompting some people on this list
>to send their self-righteous views on what the "correct" way of interpreting
>the song is.  I personally know what the song is about, and I also don't
>believe that Kate is gay, *however*, when I listen to the song I still like
>to interpret the song as though a son is 'coming out' (i.e. as gay) to his
>father.

I think you missed at least on of the points in the posts concerning gays.
At least _I_ read irony in the statement "aaahahahaha...".
Ok, I agree that it was not a nice thing to say.
But then again, when 'important' thoughts, feelings, and ideas occupy your
thoughts very much, you often start to incorporate those ideas into the
interpretation of your perceptions.

Take me as an ludicrous example: I was once a zealot-pentecostal-christian
and a friend of mine played a Jethro Tull album that I started to like,
but rejected when I heard the singer swearing in a song. I never cared
to consider the context, but saw demons everywhere I looked.
This is what I meant: I think the original writer of the question was
obviously preoccupied with thoughts about homosexuality, and thus
came up with the idea that "son's coming out" was a reference that.
By not knowing the full context (who does, but Kate?), he turned to
us for input.  At first I wondered, as did others too, if he forgot
to add smileys, but after a short while I realized it was for real.

It takes courage to voice such a question without hiding behind
an alias (hint to all of you using alias...), and it pains me to
see Love-Hounds mocking him for it.

I don't believe any of the postings in this subject are homophobical,
other than in your view, Kim.
Being homophobic is bad, but you should be careful when
labelling people. Being anti-homophobic could be just as bad.

>        Open up your minds guys!!  If someone says "this song means ... to
>me", then why not say "Ok, that's interesting...how about you person B?
>person C?" etc..  Stop trying to restrict music interpretation and the fact
>that songs mean different things to different people, and stop going against
>Kate's view that songs should have a 'life of their own' - meaning the
>original basis is not to be used as strict dogma.

There is a difference between 'what a song means to me' and
'what a song is about' (as in 'what is the story the song is telling').
And that difference is to me quite clear, because many of Kate's songs
really ARE short stories. As was my own "Excavator" song.

Music is like vintage wine. It keeps getting better over the years,
if those who made it knew how to make it right...

Mikael Jakonen
mikael.jakonen@mailbox.swipnet.se