Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-32 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Oh by the way

From: K Bacon <s340090@student.uq.edu.au>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 00:21:26 +1000
Subject: Re: Oh by the way
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

At 06:19 24/10/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Lane writes:
>>>I vote for missing the point.  With that interpretation of the lyric, a
>synopsis of the 'Cloudbusting' would be: "Memories of my childhood fill
>me with both sadness and wonder.  Dad, you were so special to me that I
>can't forget you, even though the memory of watching you being taken
>away still upsets me.  How could your beliefs be so threatening to
>anyone?  My biggest regret in life is that I wasn't able to protect you
>then because I was so small, but they can never take away the person I
>have become because of what you taught me.  Oh, by the way, I'm gay."
>
>No, sorry - that just doesn't work for me.<<
>
>HAHAHAHA.....
>another vote for missing the point here (Good interpretation BTW).
>take care now
>Kyri

        It seems that some people did not perhaps read my early email on
interpretation.  I also agree that some people are 'missing the point', but
I don't think they are people who may feel that "Your son's coming out"
refers to homosexuality.
        As I typed last time, people should be given the freedom to
interpret songs how they wish, EVEN if the song-writer based the song on
something specific (such as a childhood book).  I am absolutely sure that
Kate Bush would be horrified to know that every one of her fans interpreted
a particular song exactly the same way!!  Song writers don't write songs so
that everyone can feel the same, or interpret it the same!!  The whole point
of music (including lyrics) is that every person on this planet has a
personal feeling - or unique interpretation - about a song he/she hears.
        It is a worry that homophobia is prompting some people on this list
to send their self-righteous views on what the "correct" way of interpreting
the song is.  I personally know what the song is about, and I also don't
believe that Kate is gay, *however*, when I listen to the song I still like
to interpret the song as though a son is 'coming out' (i.e. as gay) to his
father.  Kate didn't write the song for this reason, but I don't think
people should be laughed at, or be denied their own personal view.
        Perhaps some of you should lighten up and think what music is really
about.  If you genuinely believe that EVERY SINGLE person MUST have the same
interpretation as Kate (or yourself) then so be it, but I feel that this is
an egotistical approach to Kate's work (and even an insult).  The reason why
I say this is because - as Kate has actually said - once the song is
finished, it has a 'life' of it's own, it's not just *Kate's* song anymore.
If it is no longer just Kate's song, it means that we are all able to enjoy
it in our own ways.  Take for example, "Why" by Annie Lennox, which is
supposedly based on her relationship with Dave Stewart.  You don't see
thousands of people walking around saying "I love this song!!  It really
represents my relationship with Dave Stewart!!!"  Of course not, many people
around the world view the song as a statement on their own relationships, or
other people's inability to understand them etc..
        Open up your minds guys!!  If someone says "this song means ... to
me", then why not say "Ok, that's interesting...how about you person B?
person C?" etc..  Stop trying to restrict music interpretation and the fact
that songs mean different things to different people, and stop going against
Kate's view that songs should have a 'life of their own' - meaning the
original basis is not to be used as strict dogma.

Catch ya later
Kim