Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Stuff

From: Lane Stephenson <lane5@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 13:21:59 -0500
Subject: Stuff
To: Love-Hounds <love-hounds@gryphon.com>

Wow...It's been awhile since I received a digest with so much in it.

Scott Telford (per Debbie's post) wrote:

> Celia Lowenstein's documentary about Paddy Bush's pilgrimage to the
> land of the Morovany, "Like a God when he Plays", will be shown on
> Channel 4 at 19:00 on October 11

Channel 4 here (Dallas, Texas) is a Fox affiliate, and at 9:00 on Oct.
11th, they showed an old "In Living Color", and although it was funny,
Paddy Bush didn't appear at all. (Joke.)  Since we don't get the BBC in
Texas (and "Paddy Bush" would be confused with the ex-president's niece
here), did any of the Love-Hounds in England see this documentary?  I've
always admired Paddy for his musical aptitude ( I can't pronounce some
of the instruments he uses, let alone fathom playing them) as well as
his influence on Kate's music.  I'm sure that all of us on the wrong
side of the ocean would enjoy a synopsis of the show.

> Ronald Garrison writes:
>
> "Like your son's coming out"
> Is this a reference to homosexuality (coming out of the closet)? Or am
> I completely missing a point here?

I vote for missing the point.  With that interpretation of the lyric, a
synopsis of the 'Cloudbusting' would be: "Memories of my childhood fill
me with both sadness and wonder.  Dad, you were so special to me that I
can't forget you, even though the memory of watching you being taken
away still upsets me.  How could your beliefs be so threatening to
anyone?  My biggest regret in life is that I wasn't able to protect you
then because I was so small, but they can never take away the person I
have become because of what you taught me.  Oh, by the way, I'm gay."

No, sorry - that just doesn't work for me.

Lane
--
S'rioghal Mo Dhream
http://pw2.netcom.com/~lane5/lanes_stuff.htm

"Now is the place where the crossroads meet.
Will you look into the future?" - KT