Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Hounds Of Love rerelease review

From: Rolf.Peukert@theoinf.tu-ilmenau.de (Rolf Peukert)
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 97 14:08:49 +0100
Subject: Hounds Of Love rerelease review
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

Hi,

the German hi-fi magazine STEREO, November issue, features a
review of the EMI100 rerelease of Hounds Of Love.
clumsy translation follows:

"The good news first: The 'expanded remaster' of this pop classic,
that gained Kate Bush the international breakthrough, is sound-
technically identical to the first version, only transferred
at a significantly higher level. Also the technical flaws have
remained the same (buzz at the end of track 4, several tracks cut
badly resp. hastily faded out).  Instead the new edition comes with
six bonus tracks, besides the extended mixes of 'The Big Sky' and
'Running Up That Hill', with some recordings only published on singles
and the traditional 'My Lagan Love', sung acapella.
  The bad news: Not a single sentence in the extensive liner notes
informs about musicians, studios and other production dates of the
bonus tracks, let alone where and when they were published. Nothing
about 'My Lagan Love' not being composed by Kate Bush anyway.
Apparently all this is assumed as confirmed basic knowledge among all
buyers and Kate Bush fans. Instead of more comprehensive information
and lyrics to the bonus tracks you receive several pages of colour
fotos. This fabulous album would have deserved a more lovingly and
less sloppy edited remaster version."

[transfer quality: 3 stars (out of 5), repertoire value: 4 stars]

My opinions:
The bonus tracks on the new HoL suffer less from tape hiss than their
previous CD transfers (from the TWW box set). I agree about the
standard album tracks: they sound the same, they're just louder.
The technical flaws have not remained the same, new ones were added!
Track cuts and fade-outs are not as good as on the original edition,
and the booklet has even more typos.
I couldn't agree more with the author's conclusion.

ciao,
Rolf