Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

a truly dynamic duo

From: seaweb@ix.netcom.com
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 22:43:21 +0000
Subject: a truly dynamic duo
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

I have to concur, that a Bjork-and-Kate release could be something
spectacular. I would hope that they could pull off a quick album
together. But, then, I wonder:

1) who would produce (I've always thought Kate could have benefitted
from a second opinion here and there among her works...and the thought
of Kate-meets-Tricky is delicious);

2) how would two such versatile, explosive voices find the room to work
together in a single song (I'd probably really hate some kind of Sonny
and Cher "I Got You Babe" sing-song trade-off, unless it was an
over-the-top joke);

and 3) would Kate be anymore likely to tour, or appear on American TV,
if she shared the spotlight with Bjork (remember, Saturday Night Live
10/18 for Bjork performing live).

I love Kate, but I wish she would get out there and work the audiences.
Forget the the costumes and the dancers and all that. Take it to the
front of a well-lit stage, look them in the eyes, and just pour it out.
Rattle the seats in the balcony and sing softer than a pin drop. Hit the
small theaters with the likes of Stuart Elliot, Ian Bairnson, David
Paton, Duncan Mackay, and three singers who can double on the acoustic
instruments (I'd have Sharon Shannon cover the mandolin-ish things on
accordian, for example, but does she sing?). Ninety minutes live would
leave leave any audience in a bubbling liquid state.

If you're reading, Kate, c'mon, do it now. Forget about a new album.
This would be so much better for you and for all of us. The charge you'd
generate with an audience would like up so many bright idea bulbs.

Three weeks' rehearsal, that's it, then it's out there with the simple
little black dress, a microphone, and a band you can trust with any of
your songs. Do six months of one-nighters across the Europe, then on to
Japan, and slam into the US like a hurricane of banshees.

It would probably be the basis of an incredible live CD. I'm thinking of
a longer, better-recorded, tighter, high-energy answer to "What Katie
Did For Amnesty International."

Encouragement, anyone?

Steven Austin