Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate Bush & Bjork

From: Richard Bensam <rabensam@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 18:55:32 -0500
Subject: Re: Kate Bush & Bjork
To: Love-Hounds <love-hounds@gryphon.com>

At 4:00 PM -0500 on 10/15/97, Wendy Collinson wrote:

>November's Q Magazine features an interview with Bjork, from which the
>following is drawn:
>
>Bjork is not mad at all.  Rather she is quite eccentric, like her
>schoolgirl heroine, Kate Bush.  "I remember being underneath my duvet at
>the age of 12, fantasising about Kate Bush", she reveals, "but I don't
>want to make a big thing our of it.  I would love it and hate it to be
>compared to Kate Bush, because I'd be very honoured to be compered to such
>a genius, but at the same time, it's important to me that I have my own
>individuality and my own voice."

A very wise comment.  My already considerable admiration for Bjork is
increased.  I'm also thinking of a friend of mine who is a major Bjork
fanatic and can't stand Kate at all -- he'll hate this!  :-)

>The October 15-22 edition of London's Time Out Magazine contains the
>following:
>
>A Sideliner bumped into Kate Bush at the recent premiere of mundane
>musical "Maddie" at the Lyric Shaftesbury.  After the show Bush revealed
>that one of her long-standing admirers is everybody's favourite mad
>Icelander, Bjork.  Bush was the inspiration for Bjork to move into music.
>Back in 1989 Bjork sent Kate a demo of her song "Moving", said Bush, and
>since then the pair have kept in touch.  In fact, they have even been
>talking about the possibility of a duet.  What a prospect.  Sidelines
>looks forward to the loopiest record ever made, combining childhood
>fantasies, violently happy weather machines and Emily Bronte.

Wow! This would be VERY cool.  Ironically, I think it would also increase
Kate's visibility here in the States -- if it were released as a single
under both their names.  Certainly it would inspire a number of Bjork fans
to sit up and take notice of her inspiration.

Thanks for sharing this, Wendy!

(another useless opinion from) RAB

Richard Bensam Home Page
http://home.earthlink.net/~rabensam/

Gaffaweb: A Tribute To Kate Bush And Her Fans
http://www.gryphon.com/gaffa/