Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: 5 years drum sound

From: Rolf.Peukert@theoinf.tu-ilmenau.de (Rolf Peukert)
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 97 15:49:49 +0100
Subject: Re: 5 years drum sound
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

Brian wrote:
> The drum sounds - and indeed the deliberately cheap synth effects
> - in "5 Years" are no different from the scratchy surface noise
> employed by artists as diverse as Madonna and Tricky to evoke
> the sound of old vinyl being played.

Exactly. I don't like that either :-)

I just think it's the wrong approach. I know a lot of people who
think vinyl sounds better, but the clicks, pops and scratches is
definitely not what they're missing on CDs.
Of course analogue synthesizers, when not used to emulate natural
instruments, are able to create really interesting synthetic sounds.
But those "white noise" drums never sounded good to me, and Bjork
just overdoes it a bit in "5 Years".

Rolf