Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Melanie

From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 1997 10:57:20 -0500
Subject: Melanie
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

I thought the posts on Melanie Safka were apropos.
When I first heard Kate, my immediate reaction was,
"oh a melanie clone".  Of course, once past the first
song or two, I noted that the resemblance was not
that deep.  Melanie had a much simpler style of
recording, and yes, once pushed into recordings
like "Brand New Key", lost some credibility.  OTOH,
for those who weren't a teenager then, it was quite
a good pickup song for women trying to get a guy's
attention (a bit before the IncinerateThePlatex period)
so that tune has a place on my shelf.  If you think about it,
another hit on the radio at that time was "Riders On
The Storm", so there was some pretty big extremes
and that was the way it was.

But for anyone who is the proud owner (I am) of the brown
jacketed vinyl of her album, (My Name is Melanie(?)),
they remember the tiny and ever so gorgeous woman
with big eyes and the biggest voice one could imagine.
She had an emotional delivery that
was very raw but controlled and in the time in which
Joni Mitchell and other more jazz-influenced smoothies
were the norm for female folk singers, the incredible
range and drive of Melanie were not just refreshing but
very touching.  Candles In The Rain was an anthem of
the time.  It seemed that few songs made the statement
of the period so well, as we watched the dream of peace,
love, and maybe a better shake for everyone start to
dissolve in the last days of the war.  What had held us
all together was, like so many spirits, on this plane
for a very brief time.

"We were so close, there was no room...
when we sang the songs of peace."

It is an incredible mind boggling thing to see a generation
step up to the whole world, we will stand together
until you hear us.  We will stand together until
you stop this criminal act.  You taught us freedom
and respect for all:  now live up to it.  We will
live and die for America, but not for Exxon."

In the conservative rewrite of history that wants to
tell the young that the hippies ruined the nation's
morals and left only a legacy of drugs and sexual
disease, some forget just what happened all
those years ago:  a generation stood for peace.
Whatever else happened, and it was a complicated
time, don't forget those candles in the rain.  When
the ministers of money blow the horns of
apocalyse, standing together can make a difference.
In those days, the musicians and artists stood up
and those who had ears to hear, stood with them.

If you locate a copy of her first album
in any kind of sale, be sure to get it.  There are some
beautiful emotional and whimsical moments on that album.
It is produced very minimalistically and that is part of
the beauty of it.  It is also one of the very unkatelike
aspects.

Melanie was great.   Still is.

len