Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate Bush gay?

From: Chris Williams <chrisw@wwa.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 00:16:47 -0500
Subject: Re: Kate Bush gay?
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

>>I've been very busy with 'Cloudbusting' recently (see the other message),
>>and something struck me upon listening to the last part of the song. Kate
>>suddenly sings:
>>"Everytime it rains/
>>You're here in my head/
>>Like the sun coming out/
>>Like your son's coming out"
>>
>>Is this a reference to homosexuality (coming out of the closet)? Or am I
>>completely missing a point here? I've read "A book of life" but didn't
>>think that there was a reference to homosexuality there. But this phrase
>>is, no doubt, not a coincidence.

     No idea if Peter Reich is gay. A friend of mine was writing to Peter,
but he never mentioned it. But his "coming out" could simply be coming
out of his introversion.

>Well, when the album first came out, I played the track on my radio show and
>asked the same question. Both my producer and I were/are rabid Kate fans and
>coincidentally, both gay.....we took this as an affirmation.  It wouldn't
be the
>first time she's written about gay characters.  I still tend to see it as a
"Out
>and Proud" staement, but with Del hiding in the wings for so many years, I
never
>thought for an instant that kate was gay......

    It's absolutely none of my business, but I've always assumed Paddy is
gay, and has been one of many positive gay role models in Kate's life.

>Having seen the video, now, and understanding the story that goes with the
>lyric, I don't think that it is a staement from Kate about her sexuality. But,
>as with all art, the joy of it is that its open to interpretation....beauty
>being in the eye of the beholder and all that.....

    Kate has other gay themed songs; "Kashka from Bagdad", "Queen
Eddie", "Wow".
Chris Williams of
   Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
      chrisw@wwa.com
"How perfectly goddamn delightful it all is, to be sure" - C. Crumb