Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-31 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate Bush gay?

From: Squidly <squidly@clara.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 97 19:46:00 GMT
Subject: Re: Kate Bush gay?
To: Marcel F G Rijs <mfgr@bart.nl>
Cc: love-hounds@gryphon.com

>I've been very busy with 'Cloudbusting' recently (see the other message),
>and something struck me upon listening to the last part of the song. Kate
>suddenly sings:
>"Everytime it rains/
>You're here in my head/
>Like the sun coming out/
>Like your son's coming out"
>
>Is this a reference to homosexuality (coming out of the closet)? Or am I
>completely missing a point here? I've read "A book of life" but didn't
>think that there was a reference to homosexuality there. But this phrase
>is, no doubt, not a coincidence.

Well, when the album first came out, I played the track on my radio show and
asked the same question. Both my producer and I were/are rabid Kate fans and
coincidentally, both gay.....we took this as an affirmation.  It wouldn't be the
first time she's written about gay characters.  I still tend to see it as a "Out
and Proud" staement, but with Del hiding in the wings for so many years, I never
thought for an instant that kate was gay......

Having seen the video, now, and understanding the story that goes with the
lyric, I don't think that it is a staement from Kate about her sexuality. But,
as with all art, the joy of it is that its open to interpretation....beauty
being in the eye of the beholder and all that.....

Love Will.......xx