Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: EJ's "tribute" to Princess Di

From: Don <fastslow@idt.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 08:26:58 -0700
Subject: Re: EJ's "tribute" to Princess Di
To: jdelcoux@sckcen.be
Cc: love-hounds@gryphon.com

At 11:40 AM -0700 9-17-97, Jean-Luc Delcoux wrote:
>John D. Walker wrote:
>
>> Am I the only person who finds EJ's reworking of "Candle
>> in the Wind" forced, contrived, and more than a little distasteful?
>
>"Candle in the Wind" was a tribute to Marilyn and no one had any right
>to change this, even EJ himself. I am very surprised and shocked nobody
>seems to figure it out.

I'd love to know what you think you've figured out.

EJ did not write the lyrics to the original nor do the rewrite.

The credit/blame belongs to Bernie Taupin.

Also, I don't live in Belgium, but I think that, even there, a person has
the RIGHT to change the lyrics to a song he wrote.

Hey, if Marilyn doesn't like it...let her complain.

- Don