Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-28 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: This Woman's Work

From: "boots" <more@more.more>
Date: 16 Sep 1997 09:16:38 GMT
Subject: Re: This Woman's Work
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

It's called "lack of funding", also the clown that directed them (I forget
his name at the moment) wasn't the most cinematically minded person. I
think it's just a greater tribute to Kate's poise. How many interviews of
her have you seen where she's put through all kinds of inanities? Has she
ever once said "stop this you bloody cretins!" ? No, and that's one of the
many many reasons that I admire her.

I would personally have put a foot up the aft-quarters of  the director in
question  for Army Dreamers, but just the fact that it's a representation
of Kate makes it so that I can't help but like it.

There's an odd feeling I've gotten whenever I've seen most of Kate's videos
or live performances before HOL, it's something of an initial embarrassment
for her. Then I remember, oh, this is Kate, she's probably having fun.

One things for other American fans like myself to remember is that she's
got an English sensibility of performance (one that she's done wonders to
transcend). The difference between English and American performance
sensibilities is the difference between the stage and the movie screen.  In
many ways, her early videos are really quite progressive for England at the
time. When she got directorial control, though, (escpecially Cloudbusting
and This Woman's Work), there is definitely a more cinematic sensibility.

Ok, so yadda yadda, so on and so forth

I'll go hide under my dunce cap so more

boots

heisjohn@juno.com wrote in article