Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: 'Lily' The Red Shoes-Question?

From: "Renee Rosen" <lilitu@cjnetworks.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 19:47:44 +0600
Subject: Re: 'Lily' The Red Shoes-Question?
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com
Comments: Authenticated sender is <lilitu@mail.cjnetworks.com>

On 12 Sep 97 at 20:44, Clannad272 wrote:

> Hi. I loved the Red Shoes, and Lily is my favorite song on the album
> and video.  The song refers to her guardian angels, Gabriel ,Uriel,
> Michael, and Raphael. I think your right about the white magic
> connection. The reference to the circle of fire and and the pinch of
> salt are clues.  Isn't salt supposed to be a protection against
> black magic?  I'll have to analyze the song better. Keep in touch
> with any insights you may have.

This has been answered here before (but I dunno if it's in the FAQ),
but the references to the archangels (not "guardian angels," though I
suppose they could be seen as that) is taken from the ritual called
"The Lower Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram" or LBRP for
short (though she reverses the order of some of the angels and
directions). It's a ceremonial magick ritual that's also used by some
Neopagans and Wiccans, especially by those who are Alexandrian (a
kind of Wiccan).

Since the topic of Paganism and magick is a rather touchy one on this
newsgroup/mailing list (rather needlessly, IMHO, since if you don't
believe in it, just ignore posts on it, and it's clearly an
*influence* on Kate's work--one of *many* influences--though there's
no evidence she *practices*), I won't go into too much more details,
but look through the archives, since I and others have posted more
details on it, including part of a Kabbalah FAQ that mentions "Lily."
Also, do web searches for LBRP, Golden Dawn (a ceremonial magick
group, most probably the origin of the LBRP), Wicca, etc., and you
can learn more about it than you ever wanted to know. I recommend
AvatarSearch <http://www.avatarsearch.com> for occult and magickal
related searches, as it's a search engine only for the occult.
Renee Rosen                                  "Intelligence in the cat
lilitu@cjnetworks.com                               is underrated."
Goddess in Training
Astrud and Astrudel on irc                                --Louis Wain
http://www.cjnetworks.com/~lilitu