Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Biggest Chill?

From: "boots" <more@more.more>
Date: 9 Sep 1997 11:05:09 GMT
Subject: The Biggest Chill?
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Hiya folks,
 I've got a question for you that maybe you've never asked yourselves about
Kate's music... What single line of a Kate song (vocally) has caused the
most intense reaction? The biggest chill to roll through you as if
threatening never to let go...

I though of that just recently when I was watch the Line, the Cross, and
the Curve...she hits a distinctively Kate note in And So Is Love that had
me (grown man that I am) shivering... predictably it was the last very
soulful iteration of the title line.

Other times it's happened to me?
at the end of the Big Sky where she hits that unbelievable screech,
sustains it and pulls it down into a deep rip that sounds way too rich to
be some white woman.

in This Woman's Work (with the help of the exquisite string arrangement)
Ohhh darlin, make them go away.

During her duet with Peter Gabriel, doing Another Day, pretty much the
whole thing, really, but the very end... and I walk away

During Under the Ivy, perhaps the strongest response of them all, just
because of the emotion range in the one segment
and it's not easy for me
to give away your secret
It's not safe

Okay, so these are mostly the sad moments, but hearing Kate tug at my soul
has always been more a pleasure than most other musicians could provoke
from me in their most brilliant moments.

I'd really love to hear from you, hear what moments do it to you.

boots
(who's really glad he found this group)