Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Organic Fiasco

From: chrisw@wwa.com (Chris Williams)
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 23:49:19 GMT
Subject: Re: Organic Fiasco
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

>I'm one from those waiting for the Organic Acid
>and i'm looking forward to it (whatever the quality
>sound might be) and I am glad that Mark Nesser
>made me that offer .

   An offer to sell.

>I am sure that he has not forced anyone to buy
>this CD .

   Sure, but what Ron described (assuming he's telling
the truth and I can't imagine any reason for inventing
a tale like this) it's *hardly* a decent thing to sell.

   Kate music with cheezy synths overdubbed? Speeds
changed? Random quotes overdubbed?

   Selling one thing under the pretense of selling
something else is another type of stealing.

>I 've been looking for a long time for these songs
>that are included in this CD and Mark was the only
>one that offered me the chance to have them and
>I don't see anything wrong in paying for something
>that you want .

   It's a grey area. My position is:

   If Kate's not making money from this *no one* should.

   Some believe that Kate doesn't want us to hear these
songs, thus nobody should hear them. I can't buy that.
The person Kate was when she recorded these songs wanted
people to hear them. She recorded them and sent them to
record companies and gave copies to friends. The person
Kate is now may not like the songs, but the person Kate
was at the time of "The Whole Story" decided to re-record
the vocals on "Wuthering Heights". Does this make the
original vocal "bad"?

   So, since Kate's not going to release them and nobody
else should be making money from them and we *obviously*
want to hear them...what are we to do?

   As for making copies? Please volunteer! The people who
made the Love-Hounds Collection and Kateopia videotapes
didn't have any special magical powers. We have not been
inundated with offers from people with CD Recorders to
make copies. We need people to make the offer to make it
happen. (I know it's easier to make cassette dubs, but
a cassette tree sounds like crap within three generations).

   So, if you have a CD-R and some time (or $500 burning
a hole in your pocket to buy one) please make it happen.

   Myself, I'm working on cleaning up the tape hiss with
Sound Forge and don't plan to burn a CD until I get some
decent results.

>I'm sure that it will not be that bad as Ron describes
>it , I think that he is exagerating and I will let you
>know of my overall (and true) opinion when I take
>this CD in my hands .

   Personally I have no reason to believe Ron's overall
opinion is not also true. You're welcome to spend your
on money however you see fit, but if I were you I'd wait
to hear from one of the other five purchasers.