Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: headset

From: Misho Imblum <mlist4+@pitt.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 00:00:48 -0400
Subject: Re: headset
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Chris Williams wrote:

>    She did! In the "Kate Bush On Tour" TV film, Kate talks about how
> she wanted "...something like a telephonist's headset". Her soundman,
> a Scottish fellow, built it out of a coat hanger and a small tie-tack
> type microphone. It looks like a Sony ECM-50. It definitly was not
> off the shelf. I was doing sound at the time, and I believe she was
> the very first person to use one. I consider Kate the inventor of the
> performance headset microphone.

I was also working sound when I first saw Kate and her headset.  I
believe it is pretty much commonly accepted by now that, while Kate
herself was not the inventor of the headset mic as we know it, she was
the instigator, and the engineers working with her at the time are
responsible for its start.  I do hope they are being compensated in some
way, through patents or whatever.

Misho