Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-27 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: just a thought

From: Phoenix <populuxe@geocities.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 1997 11:11:28 -0700
Subject: Re: just a thought
To: rec-music-gaffa@moderators.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

This is sort of fascinating -- I always heard the opium reference sort
of the same way I saw it in the Wizard of Oz -- sort of a harmless
reference, and very visually loaded, "...like poppies heavy with seed"
is a beautiful lyric that creates a pretty picture in my head, IMO.  But
then remembering that what awakened Dorothy was "snow...." well, I see
how these suppositions are made.

One more twist on the lyrics of Under Ice -- where she sings about there
being someone moving under the ice, and then the wailing "it's
MEEEEE...." at the end:  picture someone bending over that mirror and
snorting up the little lines, and looking at their reflection in that
mirror, 'under the ice....'

I don't know if I buy any of this, but its interesting to contemplate.