Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1997-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: Elton John

From: len bullard <cbullard@hiwaay.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 21:45:09 -0500
Subject: RE: Elton John
To: love-hounds@gryphon.com

chrisw@wwa.com (Chris Williams)

>>Del Allen writes:

>>I agree, bad mouthing other performers because they are not Kate, is bad
>>mouthing Kate.

>    ...particulary as Kate considers Elton a major influence. Frankly,
>it just looks ignorant.

I must have missed this part.  Did someone say Elton is bad because
Elton isn't Kate???  That's weird on the face of it.

John and I had a discussion with Wendy tossing in agreement that
rewriting candle in the wind for Diana Spencer's funeral felt a
bit contrived.  I missed the rest of it.  OTH, it seems a lot of
people, including her sons, were emotionally affected by it so
it had the right effect and in the eulogy mantra, that is
what is important.

Elton is a great and talented cat, but remember he has bragged
for years that if he took longer than 30 minutes to write a
song, he sent it to the O file.  Thirty minutes doesn't seem
too much to ask for the late Princess of Wales.  I won't enjoy the
remake and I won't buy it because everytime it opens, he'll
sing "england's rose" and I'll hear "norma jean".  it was
and is, imho, a cognitively dissonant work.

It's also history, so on with the show.

BTW:  found and read the Q review of the HOL remake.  Worth
having for the photo of Kate;  otherwise, nyet.

len